First Year: In-depth advanced training
The first year is dedicated to deepening the awareness of one’s own disposition. Through the exchange of experience in the group and practicing the Urgestalten (original shapes of posture, breathing and movement), as well as guest lecturers, the kaleidoscope of possibilities within dispokinetic work is opened up. In addition, the view for stereotypical movement patterns is awakened. The first year ends with homework, a practical examination and a personal interview.
It is not mandatory after the first year of the course to further participate directly to the second year. The transition to the second year can also take place in sucsequent courses.
Teaching Content First Year
- Introduction to the philosophy of Dispokinesis
- In-depth study and practice of the “Original Shapes of Posture, Breathing and Movement” developed by G.O. van de Klashorst
- Experiencing breathing patterns; the anatomy and physiology of breathing
- Fundamentals of fine motor skills for instrumentalists and vocalists based on exercises with and without instrument
- Stage fright issues
- Introduction to anatomy, physiology and the neurologic foundations of learning
- Short lectures on topics relevant to Dispokinesis
Second Year: Training as a dispokinetician for one’s individual instrument
It is possible to participate in the second year after a recommendation from the course leaders. Focusing on teaching Dispokinesis, it is advisable during this time to work with one’s own students, who can be brought to the course under special conditions.
The second year ends with an examination with certificate qualifying the participant to work with musicians on his/her own instrument as a dispokinetician.
Teaching Content Second Year
- Supervised teaching of the Original Shapes of Posture, Breathing and Movement to small groups
- Disposition of posture and technique for all instruments represented in the course.
- Applying Dispokinesis in a teaching situation where the trainee teaches a student playing the same instrument as he/she. Working on themes such as posture, technique, expression, ergonomic aspects etc. (supervised)
- The use of voice and singing
- Anatomy, physiology, neurology, pathology
- Techniques of conversation, the psychology of teaching
- The development and functional aspects of fine motor skills (e.g. writing skills, aspects of embouchure in wind players, etc.)
Third Year: Training as a dispokinetician for all instruments.
After successfully passing the examination at the end of the second year, the basic prerequisite for participation in the third year is the corresponding approval by the course leaders. After three years of training the participants receive official qualification (examination and certificate) to work with all instruments, including singers and conductors.
Each weekend presents a theme that is discussed using different instruments such as: breathing, wind instruments, keyboard instruments, plucked instruments and accordion, strings, drums, rock and pop.
The focus for the dispokinetician is on working with instruments not specialized to his or her prior knowledge enploying the basic principles of Dispokinesis. Work is done in small groups, so every participant receives numerous oppertunities for practical teaching approaches.